Saturday, July 1, 2017

July 2017 Ministry Update


In June, I completed 100 hours of TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) training a Wheaton College. It was intense and challenging, but so beneficial! I'm now academically prepared to teach in Budapest this fall.



Part of my TEFL training involved volunteering at a local ESL resource program. I had the opportunity to observe an ESL teacher work with a class of 7th and 8th grade English language learners. My role was to observe and help lead small group work. It was so much fun to spend time with students and see the things I've been learning applied.

Another component of my training at Wheaton was orientation with TeachBeyond. I spent six days learning about missions, my organization, cultural adaption and the definition of transformational education.

We spent a lot of time discussing what we believe "transformational education" is and how we can use our beliefs about education to impact students. Since I'll be teaching in a public Hungarian high school, I'll have certain limitations on what's appropriate to say in class and what isn't. I learned a lot about the value of quality teaching and how I can use teaching to be an example of God's love to my students. Even without using words to share the gospel, I can be an example of Christ by the way I interact with my students.

Now that my training is finished, my next step is to GO. I'm officially moving to Budapest on August 20th. I'll have a couple of days of training at my school, and then the school year begins on September 1st. I will be teaching students in all five grades (Hungarian high schools span five years). I've been able to find out a lot about my school this week at training, and I'm really looking forward to beginning the school year!
TeachBeyond teachers headed to Budapest, Hungary in the fall

No comments:

Post a Comment