Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hello, 2017


A friend recently told me that she isn't a big fan of New Year's Eve because it's so anticlimactic. I'm inclined to agree. Everyone stays up late eagerly anticipating the New Year, and then one? We all go to bed at some point and wake up to a day that feels just like any other. Some people set New Year's Resolutions, but of course, those don't usually last long. I know they never do for me. The past couple of years, I haven't even set specific resolutions simply because I knew I wouldn't stick with them. What's the point in setting myself up for failure?

Instead of writing a list of resolutions, or changes, I'd like to make for 2017, I want to write a list of what I'm looking forward to about 2017.

Growing in my relationship with God
This is my goal for every new year. With every passing year, I want to be continually growing in my love for the Lord, and my knowledge of His goodness. No matter what 2017 brings, I can always turn to God to deepen my relationship with Him.

Reading good books
That's a given. I spend so much time reading, and I'm excited for another year of endless hours spent between the pages of incredible books.

Travelling 
I don't even know where I'll end up this year, but just the thought of travelling makes me smile, so it's definitely something I'm eagerly anticipating in 2017. I wonder where I'll go for my first trip? I don't even know yet.

Learning 
I hope that 2017 is a year filled of learning for me. With the plans that I have for the fall, I can already say that I'll be learning a lot about living in a new culture and attempting to learn a new language. Without a doubt, I'm sure that 2017 will be filled with many learning experiences, and I can't wait. 

So much more
Thinking about the future used to scare me to death. Now, I'm so, so excited about this year that it doesn't even terrify me that there are so many unknowns about what it will hold. I'm excited for the things above, and so much more. I'm sure 2017 will be filled with hard, challenging things, but it will also hold lots of exciting opportunities.

I'm ready for you, 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment