Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Importance of Travel



Recently, I went on an eight day trip to Ireland with my roommate and another friend. I expected it to be an adventure, which it definitely was, but my very favorite thing about the trip was how it turned into such a learning experience. I learned so much about myself. I'm a firm believer that travel is of the greatest importance. Travel teaches lessons that can't be learned otherwise. One week in Ireland revealed a lot to me about who I am and who I do not want to be. I realized just how much I value integrity. I learned that I can push myself further than I thought I could. And I learned that growth is a process that is sometimes painful but results in benefits that make the growing pains so worth it. What I thought would be a fun vacation turned into an experience that has shaped me closer to who I want to be.


You guys. Travel is important. It changes you. It opens your eyes to a new way of life, a new culture, a new system of how things work in other places. It teaches you what you can handle and what you have to work on in your life. It teaches you what kind of person you really are when you're away from the comforts of home.

I definitely believe that travel is especially important when you are young. At 22, I've only been to 10 countries. There's so much more of the world I want to experience! All I know is North America and Europe. I have no idea what real life in Africa, Asia or South America is like. How do people in Australia live their lives? I want to know! I want to learn all that I can from experiencing the lives of people from other cultures. It's my goal to travel as often and as far as possible because it's just so important. People who don't travel know only their little space in the world. The world is much bigger than your hometown. It's bigger than your country. Go explore it. 

Travel doesn't have to be expensive. Do it cheap. Stay in hostels. Eat convenience store foods. Wander and experience a city instead of buying souvenirs. Travel is possible. Make it a priority. It matters. 

That's all. I'll stop rambling now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment