Friday, December 11, 2015

Satisfaction



When I first came home from Hungary a few months ago, a couple friends and I did a study on satisfaction through a group email. I was looking through my journal from SpeakOut and the first few week after I came home, and I came across one of the entries about satisfaction.

August 13, 2015
So there's a Francis Chan quote that says, "Both worry and stress reek of arrogance." This hit me hard tonight. Instead of specifically studying satisfaction tonight, I typed "worry" into my Bible app because today I've thought a lot about how both worry and satisfaction can't both be present in my life. This led me to Matthew 6:25-26. Here, Jesus says, "For this reason I say to you, 'do not be  about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Lok at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?" 
We are to be like the birds; completely trusting that we'll be taken care of. The birds don't about their lives; neither should we. We can't worry and be satisfied at the same time. I like how Chan says that worry reeks of arrogance; it's like we don't trust God enough to handle our problems, so we're arrogant enough to think worrying about them will help anyway. I think the only way to trust God completely and not worry about anything is to always turn to God for satisfaction. By turning to Him for satisfaction, we're turning away from our own arrogance. It's impossible to be fully satisfied in Christ and still be worried and stressed about things in our lives. 
Tonight, my prayer is that I don't worry about the things I am facing in my life right now. Instead, I need to continually turn to God for satisfaction.

I wrote that journal entry over three months ago. Reading it reminds me that I still struggle with worrying, and that it's still something I need to practice giving to God. Today, I'm upset over the death of a family friend. Instead of worrying, I need to turn to God for satisfaction because worrying and stressing won't help.


No comments:

Post a Comment