Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Sharing My Testimony

My first week campers from SpeakOut in Hungary.
 They were the first Hungarians I shared my testimony with. 

Before I went on my mission to Hungary last summer, I spent a lot of time preparing my personal testimony. I practiced it and practiced it until I felt I could share with my campers in the clearest way possible. Today, I thought it'd be nice to share my testimony here.

When I was twelve years old, I went with my youth group to a Student Life summer camp. I was raised in a Christian home, and have gone to church for as long as I can remember. Up until that point in my life, I was what could be called a "cultural Christian." I went to church because it was expected, I prayed because it's what everyone else did at church, and I tried my best to always do the right thing.

The worship band at the camp played a song one night called "Friend of God." It was then that I realized that the Creator of the universe, and the One who sent His Son to die on the cross for my sins, wants me as a friend. I had been living the cultural Christian lifestyle without ever deciding to have a personal relationship with my Savior. God wants to be my friend, and all I had done in return was try not to do anything bad. I had been told many times that Christ died for my sins, and I believed it. But it wasn't until I realized I had only been living as a cultural Christian that I knew I needed to make a change.

That night, on July 12, 2007, I recognized my need for a Savior and began my relationship with Christ. Since then, I have grown in my walk with Christ, but I still fall short. I am so thankful for the truth John writes in 1 John 1:9, which says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." It is so comforting to know that no matter how badly I mess up, I can turn to God for forgiveness. God's grace is amazing, for sure.

Listen to "Friend of God" now!


No comments:

Post a Comment