Saturday, March 4, 2017

Current Preparations: 5 Months Until I Move Overseas



For the past several weeks, I've been busy with preparations for moving to Budapest in the fall. I've been focusing a lot on raising support. Most Saturdays, I'm happily writing thank you cards, sending prayer cards and addressing letters to send out. Throughout the week, I get to meet with friends to share about my vision for my ministry in Hungary. Overall, support raising has been lots of fun, though slightly overwhelming at times because I'm balancing it between work and other commitments. Some days I feel like I'm barely keeping up with my to-do list, but it's all so worth it. 5 months to go until I begin teaching in Budapest! Right now, my bed is usually covered in binders, envelopes, etc.



I'm also trying to keep up with studying Hungarian. Lately I've skipped studying more than I've actually taken the time to do it, but I'm trying hard to fit it in when I can. I've learned some fun phrases, but very little grammar. That's my goal for the next couple of weeks: to get a grasp of Hungarian verb grammar. It's all so confusing! It's fun to tackle learning it, and I'm going to do the best I can until I'm in Budapest and I can find a private tutor to help me.




I also just finished reading Amy Young's book Looming Transitions. Young spent many years teaching in China and has a lot of insight regarding big transitions and how to approach them. I really enjoyed this book, and I plan to read it at least one more time before I leave. She offers such great advice and tells stories that help me imagine how I'd react in that circumstance, therefore, I can mentally prepare for such things. It's a great book!


So, that's where I'm at! Five months until I move and I'm busy with support raising, language learning (kind of...) and reading helpful books! I plan to pick up a book about Hungarian history or something like that next.







No comments:

Post a Comment